Pop-up Card Tutorial with Midnight Masquerade

I had such great response to my Dimension Card series the other day, I had to make another card to share today. Many of you asking for a tutorial, and while it wouldn't be fair to share a tutorial for ALL the cards (why would anyone pay to come to my class if I gave away the farm on my blog?) I thought I'd share the techniques and a tutorial for one of the most popular cards in that series, this time using Graphic 45's new Midnight Masquerade collection to show a variation.

My card measures 4" x 6" when folded flat. I like this size for a couple reasons. One is, the card and a coordinating envelope will fit inside Graphic 45's regular book box. So you can make a whole card set and some matching envelopes, decorate the box with leftover papers and, voila! you've created an amazing gift. The second reason is it makes cutting elements for the card easier, especially working with the cut-apart pages in Graphic 45's collections. Every paper pad includes these cut-aparts in standard sizes of 4" x 6" and 3" x 4" which is ideal for pocket scrapbooking too.


The inside of the card is where the surprise is. Lots of dimension and space for elements! This card couldn't be simpler to make. Take a look...


Cut a piece of cardstock 12" x 6" and score at 4", 6" and 8". Fold as shown.


Cut coordinating Midnight Masquerade paper as follows: Two at 3 3/4" x 5 3/4" 
and two at 1 3/4" x 5 3/4". Ink edges, if desired. I used Dusty Concord Distress Ink. (My papers are from the Midnight Masquerade 12" x 12" Patterns & Solids which are great for card backgrounds.)


Adhere the papers to the inside like this.


Cut a cardstock strip 8" x 2" and score at 4" and 6". Cut coordinating papers 3 3/4" x 1 3/4" and two at 1 3/4" x 1 3/4". Ink edges.


Adhere the papers to the cardstock strip as shown. For a space to write your message, cut apart a journaling card from the paper collection and adhere on the right panel. Keep it toward the top of the panel so you don't cover it up in a later step.


Place double-sided adhesive tape on the back of two ends, careful not to go past 2" from each end.


Peel and stick the unit in place like this.


Here I'm sharing the cuts I made from the cut-aparts in the collection. You could also do this with the Midnight Masquerade Ephemera Cards if you'd rather save your papers for other projects. The imagery is the same. The top row shows the cut-apart, and the bottom shows the elements I cut.


Now for the fun! Start adding elements to your card. The banner across the top is made from the Patterns & Solids again, cut with the Banners die set from Elizabeth Craft Designs.


Fussy cut several masks. I love the Venetian Carnival page in this paper collection because it's full of these fun masks.


Adhere the masks to the inside. I adhered some flat, some with foam tape, and a few others with a double-thick strip of cardstock to serve as a "post". These were adhered to the inside back of the dimensional flap. You have to be mindful when adding elements to the flap so your card will still close properly and not crush them. Just keep closing and opening your card as you add things to check them for placement.

Do a few more fussy cuts as desired and assemble the front of your card.


Here's a better view of the dimension of the fussy cut elements. Just a bit of foam tape does the trick.


My card needed a little something more, so flowers came to mind. And to fill in around the flowers, I decided on some simple punched leaves of very non-traditional colors to match my card. I inked them and shaped them a bit before adhering.


Some Petaloo velvet hydrangeas with a touch of purple were perfect. Then I just added my leaves around them.


Here's another look at the completed card front.


And the inside after adding a stamped sentiment to the left panel.


It's a deceptively simple card with a very impressive look. I hope you give it a try and let me know what collection you used. Have fun and enjoy your creative journey.


Comments

  1. Love your gorgeous card and the Midnight Masquerade collection! Thank you so much for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is awesome! Thank you for the tutorial. And no, don't "give away the farm" But we Sure do appreciate the sneak peek! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope you try it out.

      Delete
  3. Annette, I am always taken back by your refined, detailed cards and projects. You inspire me to no ends. I can't thank you enough for sharing with us all, you are very generous!!!
    My mothers 90th birthday is coming up I'd love to share the form of your card. I will try to send you the final touches.
    Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sharon. Comments like yours keep me blogging. It's a honor to know that I can inspire people, and I appreciate you taking the time to tell me so. It made my day! Thanks again and please do share your finished card with me. I'd love to see.

      Delete
  4. This is a stunning card. I love the design of the card and the way you used the papers from this line. The card really shows off the paper and colors to its fullest!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to make this! After Sunday's class, I feel like I can do this one! Loved what we did, and have done "Show and Tell" with my friends! Patti Hughes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com