Creative Carte Blanche - Corrugated, Metal & Lace

Hello again everyone and welcome to another Creative Adventure from Creative Carte Blanche. The The uber-talented Candy Colwell is our hostess this month and her challenge for us is to incorporate three things that don't normally go together: Corrugated, Metal and Lace.

At first, I was clueless as to what I would create. Sometimes things instantly come to mind, but this time it just wasn't happening. (I'm sure many of you can relate.) So rather than panic, I simply started to organize and tidy up my craft space, which was much-needed anyway. In doing so, I came across a 12" x 12" tin ceiling panel I had tucked away and that's when it hit me. This would be the perfect base for this challenge so I decided upon a fun, whimsical wall hanging for my craft room.



One of the things I especially enjoyed while making this is that I used dies and flowers and papers that I already had in my stash. No additional trips to the craft store, and I got reacquainted with some old favorites. I love that, and I certainly need to do more of it.


Let me share how it all came together...

From a box in my garage, I cut off one of the flaps, neatly trimmed it to 4 1/2" x 9" with a craft knife, then peeled away the paper layer from one side to reveal the corrugated. I intentionally wasn't super neat about this step so as to give it more of an organic feel.



My vision was an earthy, warm background so I painted several warm colors onto the corrugated using Distress Paints like Ripe Persimmon, Fossilized Amber, Ground Espresso, and Fired Brick. While it was still wet I sprayed a few mists of Perfect Pearls Copper.


This 12" x 12" tin ceiling tile is from the Salvaged line from BCI Crafts. It had a bit too much gold in it for my plan, so I toned it down with more Distress Paint and Copper mist. (Left photo shows the difference as I began to test the paint in the upper left corner, and right photo shows the end result.)



Once the tile was completely dry, I began to layer elements onto it, introducing Wallflower paper and lace trims. Originally my lace pieces were all bright white, so I toned some down with Antique Linen Distress Ink on a blending tool and others with Distress Stain for a deeper color. I also used the Distress Stain to age the paper slightly to match the tone and feel of the other elements. 



Next I fussy cut flowers and leaves from the Wallflower paper stash and gave the edges a bit of inking with Ground Espresso Distress Ink.



I cut a large manila tag down to 6", then stamped the honeycomb, bee and sentiment. These are each from different stamp sets from Stampers Anonymous. The outer edges are inked first with Vintage Photo then the outer edges only with Ground Espresso.


After tying some lace through the large tag, I began to assemble a few of the elements; some with foam tape for dimension, others directly onto the background.



To fill things out a little more, I die-cut some Garden Greens leaves and mixed them in. On my large tag I added Elementary Flashcards "Make" and "Time" plus the word "to" using the Wordplay die.



I have sorely neglected these dies, only having used them once or twice since I purchased them, so I was happy to get them out again! I cut several out of manila cardstock and stamped them with different colors of archival inks.



I embossed the ones who had a matching embossing folder (all but the smallest butterflies) then sprayed each with a Distress Stain and heat set them until dry. Then I used my new Distress Crayons to scribble various colors over the raised areas then spritzed them with water to watch them meld into one another. Sometimes I used my finger to push the colors around, other times I just let them do their thing. I'm telling you, I LOVE these crayons!



The colors, while very bright and cheery, seemed a bit too bright for the feel of my piece so I eventually toned them down with a blend of Vintage Photo Distress Ink.


After bending and shaping wings, I adhered the pieces down. (As you can see, the largest butterfly didn't make the cut.) Then I mixed in some Petaloo flowers here and there to fill in spaces.









Here's another look at the finished piece. I hope you'll join in with us with your own creation over at Creative Carte Blanche. It's been great fun seeing what inspires you and what you've created thus far. Give this one a try and see where it takes you!

                                       
                                       

Comments

  1. This is gorgeous Annette, I love those butterflies. I have those crayons on my birthday list x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved watching your process. It felt like I was sitting next to you, watching you work. So cool! I thought the corrugated piece was metal, love what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful! Love the idea of using the tin tile as a back ground instead of a canvas. I know I have one somewhere......but where did I put it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful tutorial Annette! Like you, I am never sure where my projects are going either! I love the rusty tone you achieved on the corrugated card and the toning down result you got on the metal is so beautiful, warm and rich looking. As for the insects, they are just such perfect additions, I am completely obsessed by the dragonfly and large butterfly and they look amazing coloured with the crayons... I just love the whole piece! Wonderful inspiration... Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading how the piece all came together x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh so in love with your creation Annette. Thank you for the step by step too. That cardboard looks so elegant painted with distress paints. And my favorite picture of them all is the one with all the "bugs" after you painted them - it's so bright and fun!! They all look GREAT! Just adore your FABULOUS wall hanging - to the max! XX j.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore this, Annette! The sentiment is perfect, and all those happy critters are perfect for spring. You made such an elegant work of art with the challenge parameters, and everything works together beautifully! You never fail to knock my socks off, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an awesome project Annette! Love the scene that you created with all the fun die cut creatures! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beyond wonderful! That metal speaks to me! I love all the fabulous layers and color. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial!! Beautiful wall hanging!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com