12 Tags of Christmas - #11 & Good-bye to Saiko

A little bit of a bittersweet sort of day. My 89-year-old mother-in-law whom I loved dearly passed away peacefully this morning. Parkinson's Disease took it's toll, especially in these past few weeks. Bitter, because she's gone, of course. Sweet, because she's no longer enduring the difficulties of Parkinson's. I was glad to have the chance to go and see her once more, give her a kiss on her forehead, and touch her one last time. I will truly miss her.


With that being said, I came home later this afternoon and spent time with my family, ate dinner, and rather than attend a Christmas party, spent the evening in my studio making my 11th tag of Christmas. Something about creating is so comforting and therapeutic. Wouldn't you agree?


Today's post will be short. Daughter is waiting to watch Elf, and I'm tired from the emotions of the day.

Here is Tim Holtz's wonderful Tag #11 (I'm sad to see it ending soon)...


You've got to go to his blog and see how he cleverly made a homemade, custom rubber stamp from one of this Alterations dies. Unbelievable!

Here is my "tag" which I put in quotes because it's actually more of a pennant that will become a banner when all my tags are complete. Here it is...



You'll notice that I changed things up a bit, but not too much. I used a Sizzix die of a Christmas tree since I didn't have Tim's alterations die. I wish I had his distress embossing powder because regular embossing powder just doesn't do the trick.

For the snow on my tree, rather than layer like Tim did, I opted to add Liquid Glass glue and Martha Stewart's Tinsel Glitter and Coarse Glitter. A few less steps and a nice effect.

Did you notice on Tim's tag how he used an old dictionary page with the word "sleigh" and a little illustration of that sleigh on it? I think those little details are so flipping awesome! I looked through my old dictionary and didn't have an image of a sleigh, so I looked up all kinds of other words and found an image of a toboggan.


Cool, eh?

Although I appreciated learning how to create a custom stamp from a die, I didn't have the die or the time to do this step. Instead I just stamped some snowflakes with Versamark and clear-embossed them like he did. Then swirled my colors over the top.



See my tobbogan in there?



Because I was using a toboggan and the "Destiny" philosophy tag, I thought this stamped sentiment worked out a little better.

Collide... get it?


I have to admit, I finally went out and bought Tim's "Snow Cap" paint dauber. That stuff just works so nicely.

Because my tree was bigger than Tim's, I felt it needed more added to it, so I put the philosophy tag right in the middle and added these cute little sugared candy canes. And because my star hangs off the top of the tag, I topped it off with some Cranberry waxy flax from Close To My Heart.

I thank you for stopping by. Here's one more look at my tag.






Comments

  1. Annette I am so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law passing. That is truly bittersweet for you want her with you but she is in no more pain. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
    And I must say I love following Tim's blog (I work in a scrapbook store and we had so many people coming in to buy everything they needed for his tags) what a hoot!!! And I love what your creating, can't wait to see the whole banner completed.
    Thinking of ya.
    Peggy Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette, my condolences to you and your family on your mother-in-law's passing. Prayers for comfort.
    Your tag is beautiful and very detailed. You did a great job with it! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out so nice. We will all miss Seiko. You all will be in our thoughts and prayers. xoxo, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. You've created yet another gorgeous tag/banner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your mother in law. My prayers are with you and your family dear!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com